The phrase “GOTS Certified Organic” is becoming increasingly popular as people worldwide become more aware of the harsh reality of the conventional cotton business and opt for a more sustainable future by choosing organic. Not only in their products but also in their fabrics. Not only do we want to feel good about what we put in our bodies, but we also want to feel good about what we put on them.
WHAT IS GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON?
The Global Organic Textile Standard, or GOTS, is the most widely used textile processing standard for organic fibers globally. On-site inspections of processors, manufacturers, and merchants are required for certification. Beyond the textile, the inspection looks at any chemicals used in processing – dyes, pigments, chemical washes, and so on – and digs deep into the supply chain, examining everything from farming techniques to ensure that the soil is maintained without the use of toxic pesticides and fertilizers, as well as labor conditions and overall ethics. It’s the Food and Drug Administration for textiles.
IMPORTANCE OF GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON
- Choosing organic cotton over conventional cotton is one of the essential measures we can take in our quest to put one foot in front of the other in an ethical direction. It is better not just for the farms on which it is grown, but also for the water sources nearby, which are damaged by hazardous chemical bi-products, and for the farmers who handle the plants regularly.
- Providing high-quality products based on honest beliefs and principles, with the best interests of farmers, textile producers, customers, and the environment at heart. Cotton consumes more pesticides than any other plant and is the world’s second-largest source of pollution, after oil. Yes, you read it right, and it’s a terrible fact that few people are aware of.
- Organic cotton uses 62% less energy and 88% less water than conventional cotton (it takes over 20,000 liters of water to produce the cotton for just one T-shirt and one pair of jeans using conventional cotton farming methods). Choosing organic cotton over conventional cotton has the most significant influence when it comes to textiles. And it makes a VERY BIG impact.
- Organic cotton is preferable to regular cotton. Simply by purchasing an organic cotton garment, you are conserving water, helping organic farmers, improving your health (by not wearing clothes that contain hazardous chemicals), and contributing to a healthier earth. Here are some of our favorite organic cotton styles.
HOW TO BUY GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON?
- Examine the GOTS Certified Organic cotton certification. Marketing may be deceiving as many brands claim to be organic without really having any certification. It’s probably not organic if it’s not clear. The only way to tell for sure if a fabric is a certified organic is to look for GOTS and OCS – the Organic Content Standard (a third party that tracks the fabric’s origin).
- Please help us spread the word. Discuss it openly and often so that more people are aware of the cotton industry’s adverse effects and can support companies devoted to the planet’s well-being.
- Inquire about organic cotton. Reach out to a business you adore if they’re making unique fashions but employing traditional cotton. Request that they transition to organic and demonstrate that there is a market for it. We can affect what is offered by changing what we buy as customers.
GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON AT NATURESOFT BEDDING
- Our cotton is organically cultivated on virgin soil, free of petroleum-based fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, and defoliants, resulting in a beautifully soft-to-the-touch fiber stronger than commercially grown cotton.
- Our materials and procedures are randomly and without warning evaluated by qualified independent auditors to confirm that no agricultural chemical agents were used and that bleaches and dyes were of organic compounds, ensuring that your furniture is toxin-free.
- Our cotton farmer producers and manufacturers are held accountable to us, so we can hold ourselves accountable to you by guaranteeing that our furnishings are of the best quality: pure, natural, soft, and long-lasting.
IMPORTANCE OF GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON ON FARMERS
- Farmers rely on higher levels of security and more consistent farming techniques. Increasing the consistency of yields and earnings for the agricultural families and communities we work with. A reduction in economic insecurity and an increase in subsidies for cotton-growing communities
- Families and farmers who cultivate our cotton are not exposed to pesticides or herbicides. For the communities, this implies fewer long-term health and respiratory ailments.
- Today’s smart farming, tomorrow’s planning, and without compromising the future. Crop rotation, mixed culture, and companion planting ensure that the soil where our cotton is grown is constantly nourished with natural plant matter.
- Natural enemies of cotton-eating bugs are planted alongside the crops to protect them from harm. Natural ecosystems are reintroduced and developed, benefiting humans, animals, and the global climate.